Sex Toy Care
Take care of your toys, and they’ll take care of you.
BASIC TOY CARE
- Remove the batteries when storing vibrators, for a longer toy and battery life.
- Never submerge electrical components in water. Use a damp, soapy washcloth to clean your electric toys.
- Protect your water-resistant/waterproof vibes by making sure the rubber O-ring stays tight around the battery connection points of your vibes. If the O-ring is missing or broken,the vibe is no longer safe to use in water.
- For vibrators with cords, wrap a small piece of electrical tape around the wire’s connection point and around the vibrator/wire connection point.
- Rough edges on plastic toys (especially anal toys) can be filed down with a nail file.
- If you are using a bullet vibe internally, put the toy in a condom and pull it out by the condom, not by the cord.
TOY AND TOY PRODUCT CLEANING
Toys made of silicone have non-porous surfaces that will clean easily and thoroughly.
Silicone may also be shared safely after disinfecting. Beyond safety issues, silicone makes a great sex toy material because it retains body heat and transmits vibration well. It is high quality and will outlast jelly-rubber toys by years.
You have several options for cleaning your toys:
- Wash with warm, soapy water and allow to air dry.
- Immerse in boiling water for 10 minutes,
then air dry.
- Run the toy through the dishwasher on the top rack.
Note: Never use silicone lube with silicone toys.
Boil, place in the dishwasher, or wash pyrex toys with soap and water.
Boil, soak in bleach and water solution, or place stainless steel toys in the dishwasher.
Jelly rubber is a porous material that can’t be completely disinfected.
Some have been shown to contain common chemicals such as phthalates and toluene. Although there are no conclusive studies that have linked the chemicals.
In sex toys with any health risks, it may be advisable to use non-porous toys with a condom.
Cyberskin (also known as Ultraskin, Softskin, and the material Soft Packs are made of) is a delicate material, so be gentle when cleaning it.
Cyberskin is porous, can’t be disinfected, and may contain some of the same chemicals found in jelly-rubber, thus we recommend using condoms with these toys.
Wash delicately with mild soap and warm water, air-dry and then powder with a small amount of cornstarch (Do not use talcum powder).
Store cyberskin toys in a plastic bag with a small amount of cornstarch to keep them from getting sticky.
Soft vinyl toys have a smooth, flexible surface that is easy to clean and typically contains a much lower level of chemicals than those of jelly-rubber toys.
We recommend cleaning soft vinyl toys by wiping with a soapy cloth and warm water.
Wipe down plastic toys with a soapy cloth and warm water.
Wash acrylic toys with soap and warm water.
Wipe leather products with a quality leather cleaner or oil. Do not soak leather.
Wiping down with a 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol solution will disinfect leather products that come into contact with body fluids.
After cleaning, you may recondition the leather using a leather conditioner. Protect metal parts from tarnish by applying a coating of clear nail polish.
Always let leather air dry and store in a cool, dry place.
Clean vinyl the same way as leather, omitting the leather cleaner and leather conditioner.
Nylon can be hand or machine-washed with mild detergent.